States we have visited so far!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lucy's Rear & Side View Camera System, Part 1

I actually started the installation of Lucy's rear/side view camera system.  Lucy has a rather large blind spot on the passenger side.  Because I don't want to wipe anyone out I decided a side camera was rather essential.  I didn't want to spend a lot so bought the cheapest Amazon offered-$50.

The camera does work, the monitor doesn't.

So I bought another a system a bit more expensive and it works fine, (so far.  It isn't installed yet.)  This system is built by Rear Veiw Safety Company.  You can tell by looking it is well built  Everything seems very solid and well engineered.  Also, I alway figure the instructions always tells a lot about a product.  Their Owner's Manual is well written with a nice diagram.  They also have videos on installing it.

Actually the Pyle camera will actually work with this Rear View system so I will put it in the back on the license plate holder and the rear view camera on the side.




So....today I tried it all out before installing.  Both systems work together...so far so good.
  The pyle camera has two plugs, one for the camera and one for the power.  The cords that come with pyle are only a few feet long.  Usually the rear cameras are powered only when the backup lights are on.  I decided I want it on whenever the ignition is on.

So, after shopping at 3 stores, including Frys Electronics and not finding the power plug and cord we needed for this camera, Dearest Hubby and I deliberated all our options.  We decided we would skip the special plug, instead splice the power wire to a long wire, running that wire in cable protector under Lucy all the way to the front, coming out near the fuse box under the dash.

I had already received the video cable I ordered from Amazon.com.

I took off the license,  license plate holder and the license lamp holder.
After a couple of tries to get the correct size hole for the wires and camera plug to fit into Lucy,  I had to adapt the license plate holder to have a cut out for the wires to get to the hole behind the holder.

Signed,
 Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment