States we have visited so far!

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

On the RV Roof



Today's project - painting Lucy's bumper and the vents.




When Lucy was in the shop being checked out for the trip her back bumper received 2 scratches.  Also there were a few little areas where tiny spots of rust were starting.  All those are now painted.




And, I have been trying to do everything I can to help ward off the heat as we travel.  The latest thought was painting the vent covers white.  The vents are made of dull aluminum and so I figured if they were white it might help them reflect some of that heat we will be experiencing.  So this morning I painted them.





While I was on Lucy's roof I wiped down her solar panel and checked the roof.


When I bought Lucy her 20 year old rubber roof needed repair.  It wasn't as bad as I have seen some and it had been repaired with silicone in places.  As I did research I found that Silicone does not do a thing for a repair on a rubber roof.  It basically just sits on the top and lets moisture in along the sides.  This is what was happening with Lucy.  Luckily she hadn't had much damage inside.

After more research I found that rubber roofs react with the air and sun leaving a powder that should be cleaned as often as every 3 months.  You are supposed to wash it off with water and a broom.  Washing and rain creates a run off which leaves this residue down the sides of the rv.  What a pain.

I  washed down the roof with soap and water, a brush and a squeegy.  That powder gunked up and there was a lot of it.  After washing it down twice,  I used Eternabond tape to repair the really damaged areas.  This all took weeks to complete.

This photo shows when the roof is only half cleaned and some of the eternabond tape has been applied


 I ordered Liquid Roof which I am so thankful exists!  My grandson Luke and son-in-law George were so sweet to help me apply the Liquid Roof.  It only took an afternoon.

And, no more of that goopy rubber residue, no more cleaning the roof.

In the top photo you can see the pattern on the "liquid roof" made by dust and dew running off the roof.   



No comments:

Post a Comment