States we have visited so far!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Packing - Part 5 - Bedroom Closets



 The bedroom has two closets, 3 drawers and cupboards all along the wall above the bed.


Both closets were made for hanging clothes.  We use folded clothes on our trips so I installed shelves in both closets.  The hooks holding the shelves did not work when moving down the road.   The shelves would move off the hooks.  The walls of the closets are very thin and will not hold the hooks well either.....so I reinforced them with gorrilla tape.  Not the prettiest but it seems to work.  The cabinets above the bed are hard to get to so will be used for items that are not used often, like jackets which we will need when we are visiting places like caves, etc.




One closet will be mine the other is larger and Coletta and Amanda will share it.  I am short so on my top shelf will be 2 blankets for picnics and my backpack.  The backpack is for when we will be spending the whole day sightseeing.  We will be each carrying lunch, snacks, drinks, sunscreen, jackets, etc.
The rest of the closet will hold my clothes, etc.


The top drawer under my closet will hold electronic charging cords, cameras, shuffles, etc.
The bottom drawer will hold paint supplies, binoculars.


Below this closet is a cloth box that holds 2 fans.  I figure these may become very welcome in hot humid nights!















In the larger closet will be clothes and supplies for my sister, Coletta and her daughter, Amanda.

The lowest shelf will be a "kitchen closet".  I wanted to get pots and pans away from the riding area up front, they may make a lot of rattling noise.  So this shelf holds pots and pans in their little sound proofing "pillows".  Also kitchen towels will be in here.

There is a drawer below this large closet.  Coletta and Amanda will be using it.

Amanda will be bringing her keyboard and it will ride on the bed when she is not using it.




In one corner of the bedroom is a corner shelf.  The shelf used to hold the old heavy tv that came with Lucy.  I have replaced the tv with a small lightweight one in the dining area.  On the shelf I have attached a plastic drawer which will hold a few toys for the little ones along the trip.  Sometimes there may be boring landscape for them so anything new is welcome.


Because this will be such a long trip and Lucy is wall to wall carpet I had looked into how to keep the floors respectable.  I didn't want to haul around a vacuum so I settled on a small carpet sweeper, broom and "Carpet Mask".


The Carpet Mask is a plastic carpet cover to cover carpets for a time to preserve them while painting, moving furniture, etc.  It is on a roll and is sticky on one side.  It just rolls on and does its protection job then you take it off.  It is only supposed to be used for a month, then discarded or replaced.  I figure if we hit campgrounds with rain/mud it will come very handy.  Not that Lucy's 20 yr old carpets are in perfect condition but it would be nice not to have to replace them when we get home.  There is enough in that roll to replace it every 10 days of the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment